4990 Wing Way
Paso Robles, California 93447
Chief Flight Instructor
Blue Sky Aviation, Inc. has an immediate position available for a qualified Chief Flight Instructor. Appointed candidate will be located at our Paso Robles base located on the central coast of California OR at our Tulare, California base of operations (Candidate may choose).
Blue Sky Aviation, Inc. is a Part 141 helicopter flight school with operations in Paso Robles and Tulare, California. We provide aircraft and flight training for the College of the Sequoias Aeronautics & Aviation Technology degree program. We are very busy and expanding helicopter flight-training program. A majority of our students are US Veterans, so prior military experience would be helpful; but not essential.
The right candidate will need to genuinely enjoy instruction because we typically hire our own graduates and we have a robust internal training program. The chief may still fly with primary students if they choose, but we believe that mentoring the new instructors and teaching CFI candidates to be effective are where our chief’s instructional efforts should be focused (Currently the DPE’s prefer to teach full-down training, so that isn’t something we would want our chief doing). In addition to a light instructional load, we would like our chief to oversee quality control of our flight-training operations and assure that students are receiving top quality instruction.
Safety is critical to our operation and we have adopted conservative operating policy which is designed to help new instructors and students maintain a safe operating environment. We have our own in-house maintenance and take good care of our aircraft.
The flight training program is operated as a very structured academy atmosphere and students have finite start/end dates, so the ability to work with the team and facilitate the course goals within the program completion dates is essential. Each operating base has a manager (Assistant Chief), and an operations secretary to assist the chief in managing their work-load. The ability to lead and delegate effectively to manage the multiple competing priorities will be essential to success.
Someone coming from the industry that is looking for a new challenge and wants to share their experience, or someone that truly has the ‘gift of teaching’ that is maybe not being utilized to their full potential would be an ideal fit! This is a great opportunity for someone looking for a more ‘normal’ schedule; we are a Monday through Friday (8 – 5 am) operation with occasional Saturdays. We offer a competitive compensation package, see below:
Reports to: Company President
· Must maintain a minimum 80% pass rate within the last 24 months.
· Over 2,000 hours PIC
· 1,000 hours dual given and 3 years of experience or 1500 hours dual given
· SFAR flight instructor endorsement in R-22 and R-44
· Must have significant experience instructing in the Robinson R-22… We don’t have a set number of hours, but sufficient experience to be able to troubleshoot common errors with all VFR maneuvers.
· Previous Management Experience
· Turbine Experience (We are forecasted to add a turbine transition course in Fall 2014).
· Previous 141 training environment experience
· Previous experience Instructing CFI candidates
· Long Term Commitment (This isn’t a time-building position).
· DOE. (Starting: $65,000 - $85,000)
· Company paid medical, dental, and vision for employee
· 14 Paid Holidays
· 3 Days PTO
· 5 Days Paid Vacation accrued through year to start.
· Relocation Assistance
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements in MS-Word or ‘pdf’ format. Please do not apply if you do not meet the minimum requirements described above. In your cover letter, please advise which base you would prefer to operate out of.
Send Resumes to Tyler Weddington, Chief Pilot at Tylerw@cosaviation.org